The two companies will work together in providing customers hybrid cloud data services built on NetApps ONTAP software. ONTAP will deliver enterprise-grade data visibility and insights, data access and control, and data protection and security for customers moving to Microsoft Azure.
“Enterprises depend on Microsoft’s cloud innovation and its broad portfolio of Azure cloud-integrated services to keep them competitive in the fast-moving digital age,” said Anthony Lye, senior vice president of NetApp’s cloud business unit. “This new development in our strategic alliance will extend the reach of NetApp’s world-class data services for Azure cloud and support customers as they modernize their businesses and pursue new opportunities for growth.”
A growing number of large enterprises want their data centers to integrate hybrid cloud delivery models for greater agility. But even as they build in more flexible architectures, they want to retain the benefits of proven on-premises methods that ensure data efficiencies, protection, and insight, according to NetApps. These integrations can create new compatibility issues, particularly with existing applications that depend on file services.
Scott Guthrie, executive vice president of the cloud and enterprise group at Microsoft Corp., said his company is working with NetApp to help businesses execute their digital transformation strategies.
“NetApp is a strategic hybrid cloud data services partner for Microsoft Azure and a company whose data solutions are used every day by enterprise customers around the world,” he said. “Working together we will deliver new solutions that give customers using NetApp and Microsoft Azure, even more, freedom to build and deploy applications, however, they want.”
The collaboration areas include:
- Developing new cloud data services, based on NetApp ONTAP innovation, that will be offered on the Azure cloud.
- Engineering collaboration to deliver a solution architecture that will speed the migration of enterprise applications to Azure and Azure Stack so that customers can unlock greater value from their data.
- Integration of NetApp’s newly launched FabricPool functionality, which reduces the cost of cold data by automatically tiering it from on-premises to the cloud, with Azure Blob Storage.
- Enabling Azure as a backup destination for NetApp’s Cloud Control SaaS offering, which provides backup, archive and compliance services to enhance Microsoft Office 365 environments.
NetApp provides a number of hybrid cloud data services today that support Azure:
- NetApp ONTAP Cloud for Azure, a virtual appliance that combines data control with enterprise-class storage features such as workload portability, dedupe, compression, and backup. It works in combination with NetApp OnCommand Cloud Manager to provide a simple, point-and-click environment to manage storage and ease control of data in Azure.
- NetApp AltaVault hybrid cloud appliances for Azure reduce time, cost, and risk with an efficient and a secure approach to backing up cloud-based workloads. Using customers’ existing backup software, AltaVault deduplicates, encrypts, and rapidly migrates data to Azure Storage.
- NetApp Private Storage for Microsoft Azure provides a cloud-connected storage architecture that allows enterprises to build an agile cloud infrastructure that combines the scalability and flexibility of Azure with the control and performance of NetApp on-premises storage hosted in a co-location facility. NetApp Private Storage for Azure solution architecture can be used with data controlled by the US International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) program.
The two companies intend to provide additional updates on their hybrid cloud initiatives in the fall at Microsoft Ignite.
SAMSUNG GALAXY S8 PLUS
The Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is a beautifully crafted smartphone with nearly no bezel, curvaceous in design and reflects a…
How to: Connect to Exchange Online Using Multi-Factor Authentication
Using PowerShell to manage your Microsoft cloud services like Exchange Online and using multi-factor authentication (MFA) separately is awesome. Using…